The Holidays and that Very Special Feeling

Posted in Holidays by

When I think of the Holidays, I get such a warm, happy feeling all over. As they’re  quickly approaching, I’ve been trying to pinpoint what specifically brings out that very special feeling that makes me feel like a kid again.

What I’ve realized is its a combination of things that trigger something in my brain that just makes me happy. So here are some things, in no particular order, that make me feel giddy and excited this time of year.

Nostalgia

The lights, the music, the smells, and the decorations bring me back to a time when Santa brought presents to my house while my siblings and I slept. And his elves watched over us to make sure we behaved. I never perceived Santa as creepy as many adults do today. He was a happy, giving person whose purpose was to make little kids happy. And the fact that reindeer flew his sleigh and he could fit in our small fireplace was all so magical.

Presents

I’m going to say it. I like getting presents. Opening something someone picked out just for me is awesome! Whether they checked off something from my Amazon list, or found something they knew I would like, it’s so much fun to open presents.

As far as gifts go though, receiving them isn’t my favorite part. I love buying gifts for people. And I LOVE watching them open the gifts from me. Especially if it’s something I picked out for them and it’s not from their list.

Family

I am so fortunate we live close to our family(s). We get to see everyone on a fairly regular basis, but during the Holidays, we have even more excuses to get together.

We also tend to play more board games this time of year. Who doesn’t get excited about playing board games?!

Giving to Others

Everyone is in the spirit of giving. Whether it’s a single can of food to the food shelter, or adopting a family for Christmas gifts, everyone wants in on the action. Maybe if people were in this giving type of mood year round, they would feel that warm Christmas-y feeling all the time.

Along with Christmas and the Holidays come a wide array of feelings. It’s easy to get sucked in the stress and craziness of it all. But I choose instead to enjoy the season and share every little exciting moment with my kiddos.

Your turn! What do you think of when you think about the Holidays?

Join us in our link up and share a post you’ve written about The Holidays!

Gratitude

Welcome to our link up! We’re so happy you’ve joined us! Meet your hosts:

Tiffany from Good Enuf Mommy

Tiffany at Good Enuf Mommy

Alana From Parenting from the Heart

Alana at Parenting from the Heart

Tarynn from Mama By Fire

Tarynn at Mama By Fire

This month’s Theme:

Take Time Link up

If you have a blog post that fits with our December theme, link it up with us throughout the month of December! We’ll be choosing a weekly featured post to add to our group Pinterest board! Don’t forget to read the rules carefully! More interaction = more fun!

But first, our featured Posts from last month:

Love Notes on My Sidewalk by Mosswood Connections

Love Notes on My Sidewalk

I love this idea from Mosswood Connections of leaving notes of gratitude on your front walk for those you love. What a wonderful thing to come home to!

Sometimes I’m Not Grateful by Mommy A to Z

Sometimes I'm Not Grateful

This is a great post from Mommy A to Z reminding us that we have little ones watching our every move. We need to remember to model good behavior on a daily basis!

Gratitude with a Twist by Kate and Smalls

Gratitude with a Twist

This post from Kate and Smalls shows us how to change the frustrating moments in life into something positive.

Now for this month’s Link Up!!

Rules:

– make sure you follow your hosts on social media (bonus if you give this link up a shout out!)

– please leave a specific blog post link, not just your home page

– you must comment on the one post before your own and a minimum of two other posts of your choice. Remember that genuine interaction and positive comments benefit us all!

-make sure to check back throughout the week for new posts!

Don’t forget to follow your hosts, then add your link below!

The Good Enuf Mommy: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Parenting from the Heart: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Mama By Fire: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Loading InLinkz ...
December 1, 2015

The holidays can really bring out the spirit of enjoying family time and giving to others. thank you for including our ost on your list!

December 1, 2015 at 8:12 am

They really do!! Absolutely! Loved your post!

December 1, 2015 at 8:33 am
  • Reply Esther

These are all true for me! For me it’s also the toasty warm drinks, the many Christmas smells, the cozy evenings by candlelight and Christmas light with family and friends while the cold snow comes down outside, and the traditional candlelight service at my church reminding me of God’s greatest love!

December 1, 2015 at 8:43 am
  • Reply Jill-Maggie May's

yes! That sums it up for sure! Such a great time of the year! Happy Holidays, Tarynn!!

December 1, 2015 at 9:20 am

Thank you!! It is! Happy Holidays!!

December 1, 2015 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Tricia

Oh I totally agree with you! I really love the holidays for all of those reasons. It’s even more fun now that I have kids. My toddler is just so excited about everything this Christmas.

December 1, 2015 at 9:58 am

It has been so much fun this year with the kids already!! They are so excited too!

December 1, 2015 at 10:07 am
  • Reply Amanda Evans | Odds & Evans

You’ve definitely captured the season’s essence for me, too! Especially board games haha Thanks for sharing the spirit and offering this link up!

December 1, 2015 at 10:29 am

Thank you! Yes!! The board games! One of my favorite parts!!

December 2, 2015 at 3:16 pm

I love this so much.. there really is a FEEL to the holidays!

December 1, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Thank you!! There IS!! I love it!

December 2, 2015 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply Meredith@MommyAtoZ

Thanks for featuring my post! Yay!

December 1, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Absolutely! Loved it!

December 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm
  • Reply Tanisha @ ThriftyNYmom

I definitely feel nostalgic around Christmas time, and when I smell sweet warm cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate with marshmallows it just takes me right back to when I was a kid and when the magic of Christmas was still very much alive for me. I try as best as I can to do the same so my son loves the holiday and has great memories like I did. I don’t really get presents myself, but I do enjoy getting my boy what he likes, as well as giving to other kids in need. We don’t have much, but we try to give when we can. I don’t want my son thinking Christmas is only about HIM receiving things, ya know? 🙂

December 1, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Absolutely! The smells and the hot chocolate! I agree, it’s fun to get the kiddos presents but it’s also important for them to know we like to give to others too.

December 1, 2015 at 1:10 pm
  • Reply Sue Parke

Love this! I cherish this time of year, the lights, music, holiday specials… it all makes me warm and fuzzy inside! I feel like a 5 year old at Christmas!

December 1, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Thank you! Exactly!! Me too! I love feeling like a kid! And it’s so much fun watching my kids experience it!

December 1, 2015 at 6:48 pm
  • Reply Tiffany

This is right on the money! I agree with it all. I wished we lived closer to family. That’s the one thing I miss, but I do love that we can make our own traditions now as a family of three as well. Christmas through kids eyes is the best!!

December 1, 2015 at 6:33 pm

It has been so much fun watching my kiddos every year. Each year has been more exciting than the last! My daughter is really getting into it this year. So fun!!

December 1, 2015 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

I totally agree on the presents! I love giving them, and watching them get opened. It gets better each year as my kids get older and understand/appreciate more. I don’t have any holiday themed posts yet, so I better get to work so I can link up.

December 1, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Its so fun watching them get opened!! It really does get better as the kids get older. My daughter is really starting to get it this year! Link up anytime this month!!! So take your time! 😀

December 2, 2015 at 3:20 pm

What board games do you play? I’m with you. I just love the gift giving. It’s such an incredible experience.❤️ I also love recreating the magic I once lived with my kids!

December 1, 2015 at 7:01 pm

It is so much fun! I have been having a blast already with the kiddos. Even my son is getting into it all! We usually get a new board game for the family for Christmas every year. New versions of Trivial Persuit, Scene It, Apples to Apples. I love board games!!

December 2, 2015 at 3:18 pm
  • Reply Rachel

You nailed every reason that I love about this month. There is a spirit and nostalgia, long since forgotten at times. And you reminded me to link-up, thank you. Beautiful post.

December 1, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Thank you so much! And thank you for linking up!! I look forward to reading your post!

December 2, 2015 at 3:14 pm