4 Reasons I Have a Fake Christmas Tree

Posted in Holidays by

I know, I know. I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where there are 3 tree farms for every 10 mile radius.

So, why do I have a fake tree? I have a list of four reasons here that may convince you to go out and buy your own fake tree…Fake Christmas Tree

1. Save Money

Let’s get the big one up there right off the bat.

As gorgeous as the real trees are, those suckers are expensive! And then they die.

Since having our own home, my husband and I have gotten two real trees. The first year, it died within days. We kept it up until Christmas, but it was seriously crispy.

The second year, it set us back more than $75.

So the next Christmas came along and we decided to get a fake tree. They’ve come a long way since those wire-y things you put together branch by branch.

We found a wicked deal at Lowe’s for our tree because we shopped around. We got a beautiful 7 foot tree for $75.fake christmas tree

Let’s do the math, shall we? We’ve had the fake one for 10 years. Assuming we would have continued spending about $75 per tree per year, we have saved $675, give or take. I know that isn’t a ton of money over the course of 10 years, but for a family on a Christmas budget, 75 extra dollars for gifts goes a long way!

2. I’m just going to say it. I’m lazy.

I think the idea of going to a tree farm, getting hot chocolate, and picking out a tree is fantastic!!

But actually doing it, sounds like a huge drag. Here in the PNW it’s not just chilly outside. It’s also windy and rainy. If it snowed more often and I could act out the whole cutting down a tree thing in the snow? Perhaps it would be more magical. Or it would still be a lot of hard work, and really, really cold.

Then you have to carry the tree and tie it to the car. Next, you pray the whole way home that your tree doesn’t fly away. (It happened to us before when I was in high school. And no, I was not the one who tied it down.)

With our wonderful, amazing fake tree, we can decide on a whim to put it up, and it’s actually up within 5 minutes. It only takes that long because we have to carry the three separate pieces downstairs from the garage.

3. Next up, the maintenance.

Not only do you have to water a real tree to prevent it from becoming even more of a fire hazard than it already is, but those pine needles get everywhere. For a fake tree, there is no maintenance. You set it up, decorate it, gaze at it starry-eyed for a month, then take it down.

4. Sap.

My husband said his least favorite thing about having a real tree in the house was the sap. He was the one that always got to get up close and personal with the tree, so he would know all about the sap that never, ever comes off. A fake tree doesn’t have any sticky substances that come with it.

Two things I had to overcome regarding my fake tree:

1. The smell.

Or, rather, the lack of smell. It doesn’t smell like Christmas. It doesn’t send me back to my childhood when I would sit next to the (flammable) tree by the fire. My solution for that? Add your smells! A few years ago my daughter and I made cinnamon ornaments.Cinnamon ornament

They turned out really cool and they smelled great! They aren’t extremely brittle, but if you aren’t careful, they will break.

2. The lights.

A lot of fake trees come prelit, which is great! Fantastic, really!! For the first three years.

By the fourth year, a third of your lights are out. By the sixth year, only ten lights work. Finally, after much deliberation, my husband and I decided to split the arduous task of removing our prestrung Christmas tree lights. At the time, it sucked. I had more wounds on my hands from the clipping, pulling, and fighting with fake pine needles than I can count. But now? Three years later? It’s awesome. Our tree is still perfectly shaped and beautiful. Now we just have to string up the lights ourselves-just like a real tree!

So which side do you stand on? Do you get a real tree every year, or do you have a fake one?

December 15, 2015

• Reply Christine

YES YES YES to all of these! I’ve had my prelit tree for 8 or 9 years and it’s still in good shape!

December 15, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Haha-yay! So I’m not the only one!!

December 15, 2015 at 2:29 pm
  • Reply Aaronica (the crunchy mommy)

I love a real tree… Like love everything about it. Mainly because of the nostalgia. But we got a fake tree for like $10 on sale at Target this year and I don’t know if we’re going back honestly.

Can you post the tutorial for the cinnamon ornaments?!?!

December 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I definitely appreciate real trees too! I love the smell! Wow!! $10 is such a steal!! I’ll post the ornaments on my FB.

December 21, 2015 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply Joanna

I totally get most of your reasons lady… Although I will still never, ever have a fake one haha! 🙂

December 16, 2015 at 6:49 am

Hahaha! Fair enough!!

December 16, 2015 at 7:06 am
  • Reply Krystal Miller (@hhtfamilyblog)

We have a fake one too. I agree on all points except smell. I love the smell of pine. 🙂

December 16, 2015 at 8:16 am

I do too! That is the only thing I miss. But I have a nice pine scented candle I can use. Lol!!

December 16, 2015 at 8:21 am
  • Reply Shann Eva

No real trees for us either. The maintenance alone puts me off it. We have a whole forest of fake trees and the faker looking the better! 🙂

December 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
  • Reply Stefanie / The Monarch Mommy

I’m firmly in camp real tree. LOL It’s just such a big part of Christmas for me. My parents have never had a fake tree, so it’s kind of a family tradition now.

December 16, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I never had one growing up, we always got a real one. But when i had to take care of my own, it was a bit of a shock. Now my parents have a fake one too and they love it. LOL! I do miss the smell though!

December 21, 2015 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Corter

The cinnamon ornaments are such a great idea! I love it! My mother-in-law works at Lowes and got us a 7FT tree for like $15 after Christmas, we’ve been using it since we got married. Prelit and everything. I couldn’t handle maintenance of a real tree either. Plus, all those pine needles!

December 16, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Oh, that is an incredible deal!! They look so good too! The cinnamon ornaments are really cool-especially since my daughter got to help make them.

December 16, 2015 at 6:07 pm
  • Reply Andria

I love how we both posted about Christmas trees today, two totally opposite takes. I here you on the fake tree, and agree with all points. I think the only reason I have a love affair with a real tree is because we had a fake one growing up and I never got to experience a real tree until my husband and I bought our first place three years ago. http://thecheeriodiaries.com/the-perfect-tree-wordless-wednesday/

December 16, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Ha-too funny!!
      I understand the love of real trees, for sure. I grew up with them. Also, when I was younger, the fake trees were so ugly!! They’ve come a long way!!

December 17, 2015 at 5:43 am

Oh you’ve semi-sold me on a fake one. I don’t like my parents fake one. It’s sooooooooo blah. But you really make compelling points. Fake trees just don’t seem magical, but all of your points make me realize they’re soooooo much more practical. 🙁

December 16, 2015 at 8:29 pm
  • Reply Iyanna

Haha! I read this in your voice. So funny, but I can totally relate! My mom got fancy on us and started buying real trees. The mess for pitting it up and taking it down sad too much! We’re in a small house so a small prelit was all we needed.

December 16, 2015 at 10:53 pm
  • Reply Kristen

The needles drive me nuts – let’s be fake together!!!

December 21, 2015 at 5:09 pm