Baby Steps for Big Goals

Goals. Resolutions. Things I want to change in my life, whether it’s physical, emotional, or otherwise.

For me personally, it doesn’t matter what you call it, they’re all terrifying. I don’t have a very good track record. I see goals as a way to set myself up for failure.

But the start of the new year gives one the sense of a fresh start.

I have a list of goals, but realized they are common resolutions people tend to have at the start of a new year. So I’m going share these common goals and some simple changes, baby steps if you will, that may help turn them into a reality.

kubota gardens

1. Healthy Living

It’s our job to teach our children a healthy way of life. The best way to do that, is to set a good example.

*Working out with the little ones at home can be frustrating. Pop in a video and try to follow along. If it comes down to bouncing around with the littles for 15 minutes, well, that’s better than nothing-and the kiddos are getting their crazies wiggles out!

*Find a class or a video that makes working out fun for you. Trust me, there is such a huge variety of them out there, there is definitely one for you. Some of my favorites are Jazzercise and Zumba.

*Watch portions sizes and try not to go back for seconds right away. If you’re still hungry, eat a fruit or vegetable.

*Don’t buy junk food! (this is my biggest one! It’s always so tempting at the store!)

*Try to buy things from the perimeter of the grocery store. It seems like the further you go “in,” the more processed things become.

*Drink a lot of water!! I think the equation is half of your body weight in ounces. (So, you weigh 150, drink 75 ounces a day.)

*Slowly increase your water intake until you get up to a goal daily amount. Don’t just go from no water to 75 ounces in a day. For one, it’s really hard to get it down. For another, your body won’t be used to it, so you will be retaining some serious water. Yes, it’s happened to me a couple of times-and it is seriously disconcerting and uncomfortable.

*Allow yourself a cheat day. We all have our guilty pleasure foods that should never actually be ingested. But go ahead, eat that fried Twinkie! As long as all the other days of the week, you’re eating healthy.

2. Blog/Work

*Make a list of all the great things you did in your professional life in 2015. Or at least write out the highlights. When you (or I, anyway), see recent improvements, you’re more encouraged for the future.

*If there is something you want to do or change, but have no idea how to go about it, ask someone that has been blogging or been in your business longer than you. Maybe you feel as if your questions are dumb, but they all started somewhere too. Think of it this way, if someone in your field asked you for advice, would you be likely to help them? Would you direct them to someone that could help them? Or would you brush them off?

*Read. Pinterest, the library, the bookstore. They all have valuable information on everything. Take time and do some research. Just don’t give up. Which leads me to the next one.

3. Positive Self-talk

*It’s ok to acknowledge mistakes and things that could use improvement. But that’s just it. Acknowledge it, fix it, and move on.

*Stop comparing yourself to others. There will always be a blogger with more page views than you. There will always be a mom that looks better in yoga pants than you. (Actually, not true. Nobody looks good in yoga pants, but keep on rockin’ ’em because they rule!)

*If you feel yourself getting into a slump, pull out a notebook and hand write your good qualities. Do your best to come up with them yourself, but if you’re having trouble, ask your spouse or a good friend. They’ll have plenty of good things to say! And again, write it out by hand. It will feel weird at first, but eventually your college days of taking notes will come back to you, and you’ll remember how to do it.

4. More Quality Time with Family

*Screen time together. I love cuddling with my kiddos while they watch a movie and I chill on my phone.

*Unplug. There’s nothing quite like taking time to just BE with your family. No funny memes on FB, no ridiculous tweets that need an “immediate” response. Just you and your family. This will feel weird at first, but like the writing above, it will come back to you.

* Go Geocaching. This is a fun family activity that requires your phone, but it gets you outside. It’s essentially a treasure hunt. And it is so much fun! Give it a shot-I promise, the kiddos won’t be disappointed! You can download the geocaching app (they have free intro app), and immediately see how many “caches” are in your neighborhood.

*Get crafty. Kiddos love every aspect of crafting! They get to get messy, play with glitter, and they have a cool keepsake/gift at the end. A great crafty blog is Twitchetts and a great “messy play” blog is Views from a Stepstool. Feel free to check them out, they’re awesome!

I hope some of these tips help! And if you have any tips or goals to add, please feel free to share!

This is part of the #TakeTime linkup for January. Click here to check it out and add your posts about “A Fresh Start.” Be sure to tweet your link using the hashtag #TakeTime to join us as well!Take Time

• Reply Krystal

I’m with you on drinking more water and not buying junk food!

January 5, 2016 at 8:05 am

I’m working on both daily! They’re probably my top two most difficult for me.

January 5, 2016 at 8:07 am

Love this! Family time is so important.. and it is SO EASY to make kids happy, simply by giving them our time and attention!

January 5, 2016 at 8:32 am

Thank you! So true! It doesn’t take much, sometimes just a little eye contact!!

January 7, 2016 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply Tricia

I love this post! Great ideas to achieve these common goals. I’m going to have to try geocaching. Fun!

January 5, 2016 at 9:09 am

Thank you so much!! You should! Let me know how it goes!!

January 5, 2016 at 11:58 am
  • Reply nicole

all good ideas – nice that you stopped at 4 main points – more manageable for your brain!

January 5, 2016 at 9:49 am

Thank you! If it was much more, I would likely end up giving up on all of it because I would get flustered!

January 7, 2016 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Shann Eva

It’s such a smart idea to do goals in small steps. I break mine up into the months, instead of year long so I don’t get overwhelmed. Geocaching sounds really fun. My oldest would love it! I’m still working on that water drinking. It’s my hardest one for sure.

January 5, 2016 at 1:01 pm

It is so fun!! My husband and I used to do it all the time before kids! And now my daughter loves it! Yes!!! That darn water! Why is it so tough?

January 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply Kristen Kelly

I love this! I have some goals for the year (some the same as you), but breaking them into baby steps that are actionable makes it seem easier to achieve. Thanks for the ideas! Happy New Year!

January 5, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Thank you so much!! And Happy New Year!!

January 5, 2016 at 4:05 pm
  • Reply Erin

Love this Taryn 🙂
    We are trying to not buy junk food here too! While I eat pretty darn clean, my little minions don’t always. So we are also trying to clean up their diets!
    Indulging is so important every now and then!!!!
    I totally need to check out geocoaching!!!

January 5, 2016 at 4:35 pm

It’s so hard to resist the junk when its in my face. I just have to avoid entire aisles at the store. If I ate like my kids do (usually), then I would be a bit better off. LOL! You definitely should! It’s so fun! As soon as it gets warmer here, I’m going to do a post on it.

January 7, 2016 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Kimberly Cox

Great tips. I am working on the water one right now by trying to stay consistent drinking my water at certain times. I am starting on the first thing in the morning glass, been doing that for the last 3 days. On Friday I’ll add a glass drinking those 2 glasses for 5 days and then add a third and so on. Baby Steps is definitely the way to go 🙂

January 5, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Thanks! That sounds like a great plan!! I love it!!

January 5, 2016 at 8:04 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I have decided that this year is the year that I switch from milk chocolate to dark chocolate… That is my goal for the year. I hope I can do it. 🙂

January 5, 2016 at 8:15 pm
  • Reply Kate

I loved this post! Especially looking at your accomplishment from the previous year and making changes. We tend to not give ourselves credit for the things we have done well, but want to do better. And the junk food is my biggest temptation too. I’ve been focusing on only a few kid cracker/snack foods and lots of fruits and veggies, because they will eat it and not complain if there are not junkie alternatives around.

January 7, 2016 at 7:49 am

Thank you! It’s so easy to see what we didn’t accomplish. The only way for me to move forward is to see the progress I’ve made. My kids are the same. They happily eat the cracker snacks and fruits and veggies when they don’t see junk.

January 7, 2016 at 7:54 am
  • Reply Tess

It is good to make goals . I’m a big list maker and it helps me to get things done.

January 7, 2016 at 11:13 am
  • Reply Tiffany

This is lovely! I love everything you have laid out here. So simple yet so read as well. I definitely have similar goals for the new year. I especially like the not comparing yourself to others. So important! As I tell my students – you’re only competing against yourself!

January 7, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Thank you Tiffany! I really need to work on that one!!

January 7, 2016 at 9:19 pm
  • Reply Jen

I love your thoughts on #3. It really is a good idea to move forward and not get hung up in past mistakes.

January 8, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much Jen!!

January 8, 2016 at 12:59 pm
  • Reply Jill Robbins

Yes to more family time! I always feel like that part of my life is so imbalanced…I mean, we spend time but I thin we could be more deliberate about it.

And yes to writing down a list of what you did and taking it from there. I love the idea that we as women can look at our accomplishments and pat ourselves on the back for the awesome beings that we are. This is something I think I have just gotten a grasp on.

January 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm
  • Reply Bonnie

Oh yes to geocaching. We began to do this in summer here but it is cold here right now so right now we do sledding and snowshoeing. Love your positive self talk section as well. I keep a gratitude journal and when I need a positivity boost I read through it and it helps to me to remember the good stuff.

January 9, 2016 at 7:17 pm

I’m so excited to go geocaching again. It’s too cold here too-it’s not snowshoe and sledding weather, but it’s chilly and rainy. A gratitude journal is an excellent idea!!

January 9, 2016 at 7:20 pm