8 Easy Ways to Uplift Your Mood

As a stay at home mom, I get overwhelmed a lot. The whining, the constant questions/requests, and the mess, make me completely forget about my potential needs. Sometimes, we need to stop and do a little something for ourselves.

This isn’t an ingenious list of brand new ways to uplift your mood. These are little things that you likely do anyway, but when done with intention, can make a huge impact on your day.

Here is a list of 8 easy (and free!) things you can do in less than five minutes to boost your mood.

Some seriously easy ways to boost your mood right now!!

1. Adjust the thermostat. Set the temperature to something comfortable and/or dress appropriately for the weather. I often find that I’m irritated for no apparent reason until I realize I’m not wearing any socks. It’s time to think about ourselves for a change. If you feel annoyed, check in with yourself to make sure you are dressed comfortably.

2. Let in the light! Open your curtains or blinds to let in natural light. Even if its gloomy outside, as it often is in Seattle, there is still some light that will come through. It very quickly and naturally lifts your spirits!

3. Chug water. Our body needs a ton of water, and chances are, you aren’t drinking enough. It helps you feel fuller, aids in digestion, and it’s fantastic for your skin. The list could go on, but instead, we’ll move right along.

4. Break out the to-do list. Is your list seemingly endless? Complete one task you’ve been dreading or even  just choose the quickest one. Make that appointment for the doctor, or clean that section of the kitchen. Whatever task you choose, once you’re done you’ll feel accomplished when you can cross it off your list. Who knows, maybe that will  create momentum for you to cross off a few other things on your list!

5. Make an “already-did” list of things that you’ve finished for the day. If you don’t have time to check off anything from your current list, write out the things you’ve done for the day. Then cross them off. There is something so satisfying in crossing out a task.

6. Dance to a favorite song!! Crank up your favorite song and if you have a moment, sit and enjoy it. Or, get to hoppin’ around-the kiddos usually love this one too! It gets the blood flowing, you’re sneaking in some exercise, not to mention the effects your favorite song has on you anyway.

7. Positive Affirmations. Write out an affirmation. Think about what your biggest struggle is at this very moment and turn it into something positive.

If you’re feeling like a bad mom because you’re not getting everything done (impossible, btw), write down on an actual piece of paper, “I am a good mom.” Continue writing it down (with a pen and paper) until you believe it.

8. Breathe. Before you roll your eyes, stick with me here. When we’re stressed out, we tend to take shallower breaths. When we do that, our body isn’t getting an adequate amount of oxygen. Stop for a moment and take slow deep breaths, each inhale bigger than the last. Your body with thank you and I’m confident you will feel a boost.

Some extremely easy (and free!!) ways to uplift your mood!

As I said, nothing mind-blowing or new, but sometimes these are things we don’t even think about. And when we do them with intention, they can make a huge impact.

What would you add to this list?

January 21, 2016

• Reply Jules Ruud

We have a dance party every night while making dinner. I need them. Seeing the joy on the kids’ faces picks me up right away.

January 22, 2016 at 9:40 am

That’s such a good idea! I bet the kids look forward to it too!

January 22, 2016 at 9:41 am

Love all of these thing! great list!

January 22, 2016 at 10:34 am

Thank you Lauren!

January 22, 2016 at 1:22 pm
  • Reply Bonnie

Great List. I like to keep a gratitude journal and when my day is going south I sit with some tea or coffee and jot a few gratitude thoughts down as well as read my old posts. Dance parties also great. Love those.

January 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm

A gratitude journal is such a great idea! Sitting down with coffee and writing down thoughts of gratitude sounds wonderful!!

January 22, 2016 at 3:34 pm

This is one of my favourite posts of yours because I needed EVERY word of this. Seriously. An already done list? I LOVE it!!! I love all of these. Normally lists like these seem like they have a few fillers to get a higher number of tips. Every point is SO good!!!

January 22, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Wow, thank you so much!! That means a lot coming from you! I’m so glad you liked it!

January 22, 2016 at 8:05 pm
  • Reply Bev

Yes to all of this! Such a great list. I have been working really hard on taking deep breaths, especially when I’m feel overwhelmed or annoyed. It often helps! I have little reminders about that around my house. I’m also working on drinking more water. And the sock thing? So smart! I wouldn’t have even thought about that.

January 23, 2016 at 6:39 am

Thank you!! Me too-on the deep breathing. Reminders around the house is a great idea! Thanks!!

January 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
  • Reply Sue Parke

I’d add 1 more thing, running! Haha! That helps me get out the crazy lol. But I totally agree that water and having some natural outdoor light really helps. I love the idea of making a list of stuff that’s already been done.

January 23, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I definitely thought about running, the only things is though, it takes longer than 5 minutes. But you’d be happy to know that I have (tentatively) started “running” and I already love/hate it. ?

January 23, 2016 at 2:04 pm
  • Reply Jenny

Great list! I agree with all of these. I have never thought of number 1, though I will say if I get too hot or cold I do it cranky. I just never kind of put it together. Haha. Thanks!

January 25, 2016 at 5:56 am
  • Reply twitchetts.com

These are great! You need that Vitamin D to uplift your mood!! I love to put on tunes too 🙂

January 28, 2016 at 11:27 am

Thank you! Absolutely!! We can use all the Vitamin D we can get!!

January 28, 2016 at 12:58 pm
  • Reply Rebekah @ Surviving Toddlerhood

Definitely agree about letting in the light! Dreary days are always harder here but with Spring coming we have been getting more and more sunshine and it makes things so much better! Pinning!

January 31, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Yes!! I love Spring so much! It really gets gloomy here and any sign of sunshine is so exciting!

February 1, 2016 at 1:38 pm
  • Reply Mama By Fire - Feel Pretty in Less Than One Minute - Mama By Fire

[…] have plenty of ideas on how to feel better emotionally in my post 8 Ways to Uplift Your Mood. Most of them take five minutes or less, so all extremely […]

September 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm