Mama’s Sick Day

This past week, I have been sick. It’s only a cold, but it has been kicking my butt! As a stay at home mom, I’m not entitled to any sick days, so I had to deal with it like all the other hard-core tough moms out there. Right?

Mom's should be allowed to take a sick day.

As much as I would like to say I am the mom in this quote, I am not. In fact, I am much more like the dad.

When I get sick and I’m at home with the kids, I do the bare minimum. Sure, I change a diaper occasionally, throw food their way that resembles a lunch, and I do my best to make eye contact when they’re telling me a story. But the rest of the time, we’re watching movies. Whatever princess movie that is the latest favorite. And after that, the next favorite, then the next… When I tell my husband how bad off I am, he knows that once he clocks out at work, he’s not clocking out for the day…at all.

We shouldn't put so much pressure on ourselves to do it all! When we don't feel good, we deserve a sick day!

When he’s sick, he tends to “power through it.” Sometimes he even still does his workout. He usually ends up stopping halfway through but the fact he even starts is either admirable or really dumb.

Now that I’m finally recovering, my little guy has a cold and it hardly phases him. I wish I had the energy he has when he’s sick. He’s still running all over the place playing with every single toy. It hasn’t stopped him from dumping out the recyclables all over the kitchen floor either. And if I can’t find him by the destruction he leaves, it’s easy to find him by the trail of…yuck.

Mama's should be allowed to take a sick day.

So when my son is sick, our days carry on as usual. I try a little longer at nap time to get him to sleep, because, let’s face it, that’s what he really needs. But as usual, his nap doesn’t last long, and then he’s back to it, being a destructive two year old.

So, should I strive to be more like the boys in my family when I’m sick and push through the pain? Or should I just accept the fact that I’m not Supermom? (Enter serious mom guilt!!)

As I said, I do the minimum that needs to be done, and then I work on getting better. I work on me. When we’re sick, our body needs recovery time. Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves to do it all?

I know I’m extremely lucky, my husband is a great dad. Taking control over bedtime is a walk in the park for him. But he has been out of town before while I was sick, so I simply called my parents. The guilt is still there. It’s always there. Why is that? We’re human. We need time to get better too!

I’m certain everyone has a loved one, spouse, family, or friend, that would be more than willing to help take care of their kids so they can have a bit of recovery time.

I know it’s hard to ask. Believe me, I know! But I learned early on after my first was born, that you don’t have to do everything by yourself. You just have to ask.

Have you taken a sick day since becoming a mom?

January 28, 2016

• Reply Charlie@Seattle Trekker

You might enjoy the Moms Job Description and job interview for an open moms position on this web site http://seattletrekker.com/videos/applicants-wanted-low-pay-long-hours-no-benefits-no-experience-necessary-40-week-training-period .

January 28, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Haha-that all sounds about right!

January 28, 2016 at 3:08 pm
  • Reply Cindy C

Oh I know how this goes…I feel your pain. Get well soon!

January 29, 2016 at 9:57 am

Thank you!!

January 29, 2016 at 9:58 am

I am kind of like your hubby.. I do everything when I am sick too.. I just take a ton of meds and vitamin c and move on. Once I went to work and my boss was like, “Seriously you look green. Go home.” haha However my husband is a different story, when he is sick, even a little bit.. he is down for the count. Everyone reacts differently when they are sick and thats totally okay! Dont beat yourself up! 🙂

January 29, 2016 at 1:30 pm

LOL! Too funny! If I took more meds maybe I could do a bit more…maybe… Thanks for the support!!

February 1, 2016 at 1:40 pm

It’s funny. Being sick without kids is one of the only things I miss about my pre-kid days. That, and my waist line. Sorry, you’ve felt so unwell. I too just throw on Disney or Netflix. And go figure, yet again, X and R are two peas in a pod. Being sick does NOTHING to slow him down. Snot just winds up on everything.

January 29, 2016 at 7:29 pm
  • Reply Kimberly

Being sick and having to take care of your babies at the same time is the worst! I try to power through it as much as I can, but once my husband gets home, I am 100% off duty! Unless he is sick too, in which case I am stuck taking care of 3 babies! 🙂

January 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I am exactly the same way. Off duty. LOL!

February 1, 2016 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Deanna

I think it’s fine to take it easy when you are sick. Lazy rest days are good every now and then.

January 31, 2016 at 6:33 pm
  • Reply shann

I definitely have had to call my parents for help when I’ve been sick. I had the stomach flu and couldn’t get out of bed. My husband is no help when he is sick.

January 31, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Ahhhh I know this way too wel! Hubby get sick and he takes the day off of work and locks himself in our bedroom… Me? He even says I’m out of luck because he can’t miss work so I have to continue life sick or not lol

February 1, 2016 at 7:54 am

Oh noooo!!! Sometimes I have to function when I’m sick, but usually I have a helper so I can lock myself away in my room.

February 1, 2016 at 7:56 am
  • Reply Kelly Collins

First, I hope you are feeling better! Second, I know a lot of moms including myself that just have to bite the bullet and take a couple of days to take care of themselves when they are sick. It just lingers if you don’t. And the dishes and laundry will still be there. Self care is definitely a priority for me this year.

February 2, 2016 at 2:29 pm

I am, thank you!! Same here, if I don’t get rest, it tends to hang around for much longer. Thanks so much for reading!

February 2, 2016 at 2:33 pm