For those of you that know me, know I’m a big-time chocolate girl. I love making desserts and they pretty much always involve chocolate somehow.
But even the most devoted chocolate fan needs to take a break every once in awhile.[Tweet “Even the most devoted chocolate fan needs to take a break every once in awhile.”] I may or may not have overdone it on the chocolate this Valentine’s Day weekend.
Whatever the case, for family dinner, I decided to revisit one of my favorite non-chocolate desserts of all time, Creamy Lemon Squares.
I got this recipe from Martha Stewart Living. You know, the magazine. I discovered it way back before Pinterest when I used to have subscriptions to at least three cooking magazines at a time.
This dessert is maybe better suited for springtime because it is so bright and cheery, but I still couldn’t resist making it for the family.
To make these Creamy Lemon Squares you will need:
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup flour
4 egg yolks
1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
strawberries for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit in an 8×8 inch pan with paper hanging a bit over two sides. Lightly butter the parchment paper.
2. Cream the butter, powdered sugar, and salt. It’s easiest with a mixer, on medium.
3. Add the flour and mix until everything is combined.
4. Press the dough into your prepared dish about a half inch or so up the sides, and poke holes all over. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly browned.
5. Mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice in a bowl. Pour on top of the baked crust.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. (When you shake the pan slightly, it doesn’t jiggle.)
7. Let it cool in the pan until it’s cool enough to grab the parchment paper and pull them out of the pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours (if you can wait that long.) Dust a bit of powdered sugar on top, cut into squares, and serve.
I would highly recommend the strawberries on the side! Not only do they make for a lovely presentation, but turns out, strawberries and lemon are a delicious combo!
These were a huge hit with the entire family! And just thinking about the shortbread crust and smooth lemon filling is making me want to make them again next week!
I hope you enjoy!!
If you liked this post, you may also love: