It has been an incredibly hectic couple of weeks! My little guy and I are still trying to settle into our new schedule of taking his big sis to kindergarten every day.
And since school has started, my sweet boy has decided to refuse naps at home. My only solution, so far, is to take him in the car an hour before we have to pick up his sister from school so he can take a nap in the car. And it works, 95% of the time. Score one for me, but its also a big ol’ fat bummer because that means I get no time to share some of my fun ideas with you. So this one is going to be quick. 😉
If you know me at all, I am a huge fan of anything salty and sweet. Especially if that sweet involves chocolate! And add a fun theme to it, to make everything look cute (or scary!), I get really excited about it![Tweet “Monster Pretzel Bark is the perfect combo of salty and sweet for Halloween! Its so easy too!”]
This Monster Pretzel Bark is everything put together in an adorable or, if you prefer, a scary package. It’s super easy, and so much fun![expander_maker more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
You will need:
2 bags of Chocolate chips*
Candy Eyes (find them in the baking aisle, next to the cake decorating section)
Candy (Pick your favorite!)
*I always use Ghirardelli because I am a self-proclaimed chocolate snob. You can use any type of chocolate you like, or have on hand. For this recipe, I used white chocolate so I had the option to add different colors. You could also use candy melts if you’d like. They make for some gorgeous, vibrant colors. But, truth be told, I am not a fan of the taste of candy melts, so I always stay far away from them in all of my recipes.
- Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Lay out the pretzels on the parchment paper in a single layer, as close together as you can.
- Melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between. Do not overcook, chocolate does not like it and it will get clumpy and gross. Drizzle melted chocolate all over the pretzels. This is an extremely important step!! Doing this holds the pretzels together so they aren’t moving all over on you for the next step. Once your drizzled chocolate has firmed up, you can continue on to the next step.
- Melt 1 1/2 to 2 cups of chocolate chips and pour all over half of the pretzels. With an offset spatula, spread the chocolate evenly. Repeat this step until all of the pretzels are covered in chocolate.
- While the chocolate is still melted, add your candy eyes and other candy all over the pretzel bark.
- If you want to add different colors, this is the time to do it! I put about a half cup of chocolate in a little plastic bag. I seal the bag and submerge it in hot water for a minute or two. I check it, squish it around a bit, then add it back to the hot water. Once its melted, I add my food coloring, just a drop or two. Mix it by squishing it around again. Then cut one of the corners of the bag off, and drizzle it all over the pretzel bark.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes, then break into big chunks. Enjoy with the family, or package them up for a fun treat for friends!
This is such a fun recipe because you can do pretty much anything with it. Add sprinkles, more candy, or more colors. You can make it a silly and fun Monster Pretzel Bark, or you can make it scary. And of course, don’t forget to get the kids in on the action! Anything with candy and creativity is on the top of my daughter’s list!
Once Halloween is over, I’m going to use up some of the leftover Halloween candy by making pretzel bark. And let me tell you, I cannot wait! The best pretzel bark has at least four different types of candy on it! Ha!